Insomnia can affect all of us, greatly affecting our day-to-day living. Consistent sleeplessness usually leads people to turn to prescription sleeping pills, which can carry with its some unpleasant side effects. Medical cannabis offers a natural way to treat those restless nights; just as long as you use the right strain. Read on to learn about the best cannabis strains for insomnia, and why this wonder plant is quickly becoming the go-to solution for a growing number of people.
How Does Cannabis Affect Sleep?
Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system in the body plays a crucial role in sleep regulation. The endocannabinoid system is the system that CBC, THC and other cannabinoids interact with. Since cannabis can interact with this system, it is fair to use marijuana to get relief from sleeping issues. Also, additional research has found that cannabis increases Stage 3 sleep and reduces the amount of REM sleep. The latter is the light sleep where we dream, while the former is where deep sleep happens, which is essential for those suffering from sleep deprivation.
Sativa, Indica or Hybrid?
When it comes to treating symptoms, not all marijuana strains are made equal. Indica tends to treat insomnia most effectively because of its strong, physical body high effects, and because it has less psychoactive effects. Sativa usually has the opposite effect with its uplifting, energetic head buzz. High THC strains can also have falling asleep as an adverse effect, so looking for one with a good balance of CBD and THC is ideal. Consequently, there are lots of hybrid strains ideal for treating insomnia.
Best Cannabis Strains for Sleep
- Cherry Pie. This is an indica-dominant hybrid of Durban Poison and Granddaddy Purple. It features dense buds with orange hair and a slight purple hue. It is usually used by patients with PTSD, bipolar disorder, anxiety, migraines and other stress-related syndromes.
- Mochi. Another strain leaning on the Cookie Fam lineage because of its potency, flavor and stability, this indica-leaning hybrid has a frosty mixture of jade and purple foliage with bright ref hairs. It offers moderate stress and pain reduction, while giving its user a creative and calm aura.
- Granddaddy Purple. This is a classic indica strain that smells and tastes like grapes. It gives a potent cerebral high combined with the sedating effects of pure indica. This is a favorite among patients who has pain that keeps them up at night.
- Bubba Kush. A well-balanced indica with a moderate amount of THC, this strain is a great choice for people who lack sleep. It offers ease and relaxation and gives the sweet rich flavors of coffee and chocolate.
- Girl Scout Cookies. This beloved hybrid offers knockout sedative effects while also treating anxiety, pain and other conditions that keep you up at night. It is popular taken as an edible for a peaceful, full night sleep.
- Tahoe OG Kush. A top nighttime hybrid, this strain gives an extremely heavy and lazy body sensation. Its superb breeding allows it to embody all the usual indica effects with an added euphoric, sativa-like kick.
- God’s Gift. This indica cannabis is not a good choice for beginners because it gives a heavy body high for a deep sense of relaxation and peace. It has a lingering smell and taste of berries, and will float you away to sleep.
- Khalifa Kush. Otherwise known as Wiz Khalifa OG, this hybrid was specifically bred for the famous rap artist. Its aromas and effects are the same as the OG Kush, and gives an active cerebral high for a restful sleep.
Use the list above as a guide in choosing the best strain that will work for your needs and preferences. Also, make sure that you purchase your marijuana goods only from reputable marijuana dispensaries for the best cannabis experience possible.